I know I haven’t reviewed a book in a while. My GoodReads status hasn’t updated in forever, either. I promise I have been reading… I’ve just been extremely very busy. Working three jobs, finishing edits on one novel, plotting two more, critiquing another, plus normal stuff like standing in line at the DMV… And a super secret project. *Shhhh* It’s going to be a while yet.
I promise to catch back up, but for now I thought I’d share some interesting tidbits about my current works in progress.
1) The Business of Death started as a scribble in my ever-present notebook three years ago. I was sitting in a waiting room at yet another one of my dad’s doctor appointments. I began to wonder about all the people that stay healthy no matter what they do, and the people that just can’t seem to catch a break. From there it took on a life of its own with luck auras and afterlife mythology. Everything else has changed about a million times over, but those basic tenets have remained the same throughout.
2) Really-Truly Verity is my love letter to Gail Carson Levine.
3) Boats Against the Current is every angsty diary/blog entry I wrote between the ages of 18 and 21, polished until I wanted to vomit from the painful memories. But in its own way, the process has been cathartic.
4) Eyes of Argus was my first honest attempt at a novel that wasn’t glorified Sailor Moon fanfic.
5) Awake My Soul started out as dystopian, techno Wizard of Oz. True story. Now it’s a trilogy about what it means to be human and bloody, violent revolution.
6) The Faewyld series began life as a twisted Middle Grade book about a 7-year-old girl named Mollyann who slowly begins to believe her imaginative fairy kingdom play is real.